(makes 12 parcels)
400g (or 2 mugs) strong white flour
1/2 tsp salt
250ml (or 2/3rds mug) lukewarm water
1 rounded teaspoon fresh yeast
Splash of olive oil (optional)
6 vegan sausages (Linda Mac's or Fry's)
- Place the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Measure the water and stir in the fresh yeast. Pour in the yeast liquid and add the olive oil if using.
- Have a little water to hand to add if necessary. Remember, it is better for your dough to be wetter (slack) rather than drier (tight). Holding the bowl with one hand begin to mix by stirring the ingredients together with your fingers. Check how the dough feels as you mix – it should stay soft and squidgy – and add more flour or water as needed. When all the flour has been mixed in, wipe the bowl around with the dough, turn it out onto the worktop and begin to knead.
- Knead by flattening the dough out, folding it over and flattening it again. Knead until the dough becomes smooth – and then stop before you get fed up!
- When you are ready to proceed, take the dough out of the mixing bowl and place it on your worktop. This time, don't 'knock the dough back'! Just divide the dough into 12 pieces.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and each sausage in two. Flatten a piece of dough down with the heel of your hand into an oval shape. Turn it over to loosen it from the worktop and place a smear of mustard along the middle, then place the halved sausage over the mustard. Form a parcel by bringing the ends of the oval over each end of the sausage. Now bring the top and bottom of the oval over to meet each other. Pinch these two sides together and roll the parcel gently between the palms of your hands. Place on a lined oven tray with the join underneath.
- Cover and leave to prove until they have grown appreciably in size. Bake at 220C, 425F or gas mark 7, for about 15 minutes.