No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Thursday 24 April 2014

5:2 DIET - HOMEMADE PASTA AND RAGU SAUCE


(Some info on my experience of the 5:2 way of eating.)

Thursday 24th April 2014
Made a variation on the pasta side of this dish by adding a teaspoon of smoked paprika along with the flour - it just lifts it out of the ordinary!

Ragu sauce made pretty much as below


And here's the pasta (made with 50g wholemeal flour, one teaspoon smoked paprika and 35g water), rolled out before being divided into strips with a pizza cutter:

Homemade pasta only requires about 3-4 minutes simmering

Wednesday 30th Jan 2013
Homemade pasta and veg sauce
Vegetarian sauce:
150g onion – 46 cals
100g celery - 8 cals
100g cabbage – 15 cals
50g carrot -14 cals
100g cauli – 31 cals
115 mushrooms – 15 cals
400g tinned chopped tomatoes* - 111 cals
10g bouillon powder – 24 cals
1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs - 0 cals
Black pepper - 0 cals

Total 264 calories 

Chop the veg in a little water and simmer until soft. Add the chopped tomatoes and the flavourings and simmer for at least half an hour.

Pasta
40g wholemeal flour 143 cals
3g bouillon powder 8 cals
30g water

Total 151 calories

Here's the method and some pics.

The calorie count for this meal is less than 300 calories:

The sauce makes enough for two meals, so, 264/2 = 132

Sauce and pasta together – 132 + 151 = 283 calories


*Tinned tomatoes vary in their calorie count - from 76 to 111 in the ones I've seen. Obviously the higher the calorie count, the better. The tinned tomatoes used in this recipe come from Sainsbury's basic range - 31p!

6 comments:

  1. So much details!!
    Very impressive..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi rup

    Glad you liked this post! Thanks for stopping by.

    Hope you enjoy the rest of the blog.

    Best wishes, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post,, i'm very enjoyed to visit this site :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post,, i'm very enjoyed to visit this site :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoy the rest of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking for recipes No salt no sugar no oil no meat

    ReplyDelete