No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Sunday 27 April 2014

5:2 CALORIE COUNTED TRIFLE - VEGAN

Vanilla sponge, raspberry jelly, banana, custard and coconut 'cream'
Friday 25th April 2014
I've got the taste for trifle, now, so here's another one - this time not made with chocolate cake (my default position!), but with vanilla sponge.
This time I actually made a vanilla sponge
Here the jelly has just been added...

…And here the raspberry jelly has set - with the fruit floating to the surface
And custard added.
I found some coconut milk powder in the cupboard and I went on Twitter to see if anyone had made coconut cream with it. The consensus seemed to be that you needed coconut cream powder, and that coconut milk powder just wouldn't do it.

However, the instruction said that a thick creamy milk could be made from 80g of powder to 200ml of hot water - so I thought that if I reduced the water to 80ml, then it may be possible.

So I set too, and beat the 'cream' for over four minutes. I did finish up with a thickish cream - but still more a pouring cream than anything else. Ah, well, I thought, I'll put it on anyway:

Definitely looks the part (the glass was misted over since I'd had the trifle in the fridge overnight)
I helped myself to a bowlful - and most of the 'cream' ended up in the hole left by the serving spoon.
After a night in the fridge, the cream had solidified somewhat - and here it is!

Not exactly as creamy as I'd like, but I think I'm definitely on the right track!
Sunday 20th April 2014
Decided it was time for another trifle - but this time, the sponge I made was chocolate (link further down the post), and the vegetarian jelly was orange:








Once the jelly was set it's a simple matter to pour custard over the top:



Add caption
Finally, a large spoonful is placed in a dish, and soya cream is poured over:

One trick I did miss was to include a dash of liqueur in the jelly - I have Benedictine in the cupboard - must remember to do that next time.


Tuesday 8th October 2013:
I wrote about this trifle on the 5th of May 2013, in another post - and today I decided to put it in a separate post - and calorie count it:

"I am SO excited! I can't tell you how thrilled I am!"

I'm making a vegan trifle - the first trifle I will have had in many decades. 

I made a vegan vanilla sponge cake, placed some in the bottom of a dessert bowl, put slices of banana on top, then poured vegetarian jelly* over all this and it's beginning to set already!

*BBE No 2008! grin

I thought it would take ages to set in the fridge - but, no, it's almost ready for the custard (I must admit I reduced the water for the jelly by 10% - it's the first one I've made, so I wasn't sure what to expect)

[Later] The custard (Alpro) is now on top of the trifle - but I can't finish it off with cream, as I don't have any suitable. All I have is soya pouring cream - so I'll just have to add it in the bowl when I serve up.

The question is, should I have trifle for lunch? An early lunch at that...? confused

The answer came very quickly - I'm typing this after my second helpingl grin

It's not perfect - the custard isn't quite thick enough, the jelly a little on the thin side - but it is so, so good!

Would another helping affect my exercise, later?

Perhaps, just a small spoonful...

Or two...

That's it, I've just put it on top of the cupboard, out of reach!

Not really, it's safely tucked away in the fridge until dinner tonight!

Phew!"



I've been buying 10-calorie jellies recently, and I've thought for a while that these would come in handy for knocking up a quick trifle. And yesterday I made a chocolate 'cake in a mug' - of which I had half left.

So - ingredients:

Half the quantity of the cake in a mug - 260 calories
1 10-cal jelly - 10 cals
1/2 medium banana - 40 cals
100g Alpro custard - 81 cals

Total 391 calories.


One  quarter of this, with 25g of soya cream - 48 cals - poured over, comes to just under 150 cals - perfect for a pudding on a fast day if you combine it with a low calorie veg curry or similar!


Note

If you reduce the amount of chocolate cake to a third instead of a half would bring the final calorie count down to around 125 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment