No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Rollplay at St Mark's Primary School, Basingstoke

My daughter teaches year 5 at this school, and last year, working in groups of 7 or 8, I made iced buns with about 45 of the youngsters from this school - about 2/3rds of the year group.

This year I wanted to reach everyone in year 5 - about 77 kids if everyone turns up. After the experience I had in my grandchildren's school the week before, I knew I could do this easily!

The bread roll recipe (with suggestions for shapes).

Starting at about 8.50 I ran a session in my daughter's class - 23 students, 7 groups of 3 and a pair. I did exactly the same as last week - with one major difference.

"What would happen," my daughter said, "if you didn't use any yeast?" This question came after a fairly lengthy explanation of why we should use lukewarm water  to dissolve the yeast. "Why, nothing, really. The dough would just sit there." So then I thought that instead of the one demonstration from me of how I put a batch of dough together, my daughter could also make a batch - only this time, without any yeast . Which is what we did.

Here's the pics from this session:

We did the same in the second session:

Yeast-risen rolls - and unleavened ones!
And the third session:





I had a bit more time to take pics in the  last session - and I still got away from the school around 3.20, after teaching 74 kids in the day!

Once again, great support, great teachers and great kids!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful! You just might have started a group of future bread makers ;-)! I wonder if some of these will persuade their mums to do this at home?

    ReplyDelete