No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Wednesday 20 March 2013

BREADMAKING IN WELLINGTON, FEB/MAR 2013

Wednesday 6th Mar 2013 
Focaccia, fougasse, pain au chocolat, jam doughnuts and iced buns in this session. Peter made the fougasse:
It's difficult to spread out the holes in the fougasse properly, since the oven trays are so small! Also in the pic are 2 jam doughnuts, 2 peitit pain au chocolat and two iced buns.
And the others all made focaccia:

Sallie’s focaccia and several of her buns. Sallie comes straight from work, so by this time in the evening, she’s ravenous!
Franks half-eaten focaccia with olives and sun-dried tomatoes. Plus his sweet buns.

A s-d-tomato and rosemary version 
Ben's (I think) rosemary focaccia


As you can see, I only remembered to take some pic pretty late in the session!
The three sweet varieties of bread are all made out of the same batch of dough. 


A comment from one of my students, Paul - "I've never known 2 hours to go past so quickly." :)

Wednesday 27th Feb 2013
Freeform loaves and Chelsea buns tonight - and already, it's evident that the students are no longer beginners! I did remember to take some pics, this time:
Frank getting to grips with a plait

A batch of Chelsea buns - seems to be missing one??

Cottage loaf - the gap at the bottom means it could have been left to prove for a little longer - but we're up against the clock! :(
A coburg loaf - sorry it's a bit blurred!

Another cottage loaf - lightly singed, I'm afraid

Ben's plait, I think...

...and Frank's

Wednesday 20th Feb 2013

A 5 week course began tonight, with 6 students - 5 of them new to breadmaking - made soda bread and fancy dinner rolls tonight. The other student had attended my course in Taunton and enjoyed it so much that he persuaded several of his friends to join him tonight.

I completely forgot about taking any pics, but all the bread turned out OK!

Th

No comments:

Post a Comment