No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Wednesday, 21 August 2013

A WEEK'S MENU FOR A VEGAN


(Well, it started out as a weekly menu, but I've since added to it, and I shall add more, I'm sure!)

Breakfast:
Cereal with fruit juice instead of milk (you could use soya milk, of course, but I try and keep my soy intake down)

Porridge – made with water - is a good standby.  I like mine with blackstrap molasses – although I no longer draw faces and yachts on the porridge as I did when I was younger! (Still do with the grandchildren on occasion! :-) )

My wife has hers with sultanas (soaked overnight) and banana. (Ugh!)

I only have porridge about once a week - my usual breakfast is spicy fruit naan, covered with mashed banana:

However, I often skip breakfast these days.


Lunch:
Open faced sandwiches, with Marmite, hummus and sliced tomatoes – I have this often.

Socca wraps with hummus and tomatoes/mushrooms (lightly fried first)

Leftover pizza (link below)

Beans on toast

Dinner:

Chilli non carne (with the leftover ragu sauce)

Vegetable curry (with the leftover chilli)

Lasagne (using the leftover ragu sauce. This recipe uses slices of cooked potato instead of pasta - and it's absolutely gorgeous)



Curried lentils and cabbage (Savoy’s my favourite!) (Link to come)

Lentils and rice with mushrooms and cabbage (ready in 30 minutes)


Desserts
Crepe Suzette (a simple flour and water pancake with a homemade marmalade sauce and Benedictine with soya cream - just gorgeous!)

Chocolate cake (an 8" - 20cm - cake made with 5 ingredients which cost in the region of 70p!)

[More to come - and I shall link to all the recipes (except perhaps the beans* on toast! :-) )]

(Oh, I dunno, I make a mean pot of 'baked beans' using red kidney beans…)

No comments:

Post a Comment