No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Pane frattau

This is an adaptation of a traditional Sardinian peasants' dish.

It is a very loose version of a lasagne, in that it uses bread soaked in broth instead of pasta. (I've used grated vegan cheese instead of a cheese sauce.)

Ingredients:
1 bowl of vegetable stock
3 or 4 cartas di musica
1 batch of rich tomato sauce
Vegan cheese (grated) for sprinkling

Method:
Split the carta di musica in two and soak each half in the vegetable broth.
In an oven-proof dish place a serving spoon of tomato sauce and cover it with a layer of the soaked bread then sprinkle with the vegan cheese.
Continue layering up the dish until you run out of either sauce or bread,  finishing with the cheese.

Bake at 200C for about 20 minutes when it should be a golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment