No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Wednesday 12 November 2014

FAMILY LEARNING AT HALCON PS

Chelle, one of the parents on my latest course, is a very keen student and makes many of the breads we make in the sessions at home with her children.

She's very kindly sent me some pics of her baking activities; here are some of them:




[More to come]

I've been running a Family Learning breadmaking class at this school in Taunton for over 13 years. The main thrust is family learning - parents and children learning together - the breadmaking is just a means to an end. However, the breadmaking is very serious - no child leaves Halcon without being able to make bread.

We began with year four children and their parents - but it didn't take long to realise that parents quickly became comfortable in the school surroundings - and not a few have gone on to take an active part in the school, listening to children read, etc. So the age was gradually dropped, and now we have year one children coming to the session. And very accomplished they prove to be.

Each course runs for 5 weeks, and every week we make two varieties of bread - generally a savoury and a sweet.

The families go home with recipes of the breads they have made - and I always give the children (especially) some homework. This is to go home and find someone who doesn't know how to make bread, and teach them what they've learned.


2 comments:

  1. we really enjoyed the bread making at Halcon, and now really enjoy making bread at home with the family thanks for teaching us
    Chell and Willow

    ReplyDelete