No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Thursday 27 November 2014

VEGAN SPANISH OMELETTE using a gram (chick pea) flour batter


My new favourite dinner! - quick and easy!

Ingredients:
2 medium potatoes, diced and pre-cooked
1 small onion, chopped and pre-cooked

3 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
1 medium mushroom, sliced

Topping:
4 slices vegan cheese
1 medium tomato, sliced
Nutritional yeast – to sprinkle
Black pepper and cayenne pepper, to taste

Plus:
Gram flour batter made up with
40g gram flour, 100g water and a little salt

Method: 
Chop the potatoes and onion and simmer them for a few minutes until soft. Drain (saving the liquid) and gently fry in a little oil.

While these are sautéing, make up the batter and whisk to remove any lumps.

Add the s-d-tomatoes and the mushroom to the frying pan and heat through, tossing once or twice.

Gather the veg in a neat(ish) circle in the middle of the frying pan and gently pour the batter over and into the potatoes. Any escaping streams of batter should gently be turned back over the potatoes.

Place the slices of cheese over the potatoes, followed by the sliced tomato and the nooch. Finally, add the black pepper and cayenne.

Fry for a further 5 or so minutes, until the batter is almost cooked.

Place under a hot grill for around 5 minutes, then serve with fresh home made bread spread with a little olive oil.

Also, see: Socca (gram flour pancakes).

No comments:

Post a Comment