No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Tuesday 16 February 2010

Grandchildren and breadmaking

Collected the youngsters, Alfie, 4, Olivia, 6 and Phoebe, 8, on Sunday, to stay with us for a few days over the half term.

Yesterday morning we decided to make some bread – pizzas for dinner were on the agenda, plus assorted other stuff.

In the event, Alfie made a sweet dough and the girls each made a plain dough.

1 mug bread flour - 1 dessertspoon sugar (for the sweet dough – nothing for the savoury dough) - 1/3 mug water - 1 tsp fresh yeast

Alfie made half a dozen pains au chocolat (a la Elizabeth David – not the unpleasant [to my taste] croissant variety). Phoebe made four doughnuts and a small pasty with the rest of the sweet dough. 2 containing (her idea) a glace cherry and chocolate spread, 1 with a glace cherry and apple sauce, and one containing all three ingredients.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the cherry and chocolate one!

After much playing with the dough (the original playdough!), Olivia produced a ‘snake pizza’ which looked more like a rabbit, Phoebe made a cheese and tomato pizza, and I made one with Pateole spread and vegan pesto.

(Can see I’m going to have to work harder at this if I’m going to blog about every bit of breadmaking I do…)

No comments:

Post a Comment