No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Saturday 5 February 2011

Schiacciata con l'uva – Two-harvest bread (Gluten- and yeast-free)

Made this a while ago - just found it whilst looking for gluten-free recipes in my files. (The ingredients for a wheat flour version are below.)

Ingredients:
200g cornmeal
100g sultanas
2 dsps sugar
2 tsps gluten-free baking powder
150ml (plus) water
Good splash of olive oil (optional)
Plus a handful of seedless grapes, halved.

Method:
1. Put the oven on at 200C and line a baking tray with baking parchment.

2. Place dry ingredients in mixing bowl and stir a couple of times, using a spatula or table knife.

3. Working quickly (the baking powder starts to react when it meets the water), add sufficient water to bring it together as a dough - I found I'd used 162.5g (my scales are divided into 25g segments - the pointer was just halfway between two lines!)

4. Place on baking parchment and roll or push the dough out into a circle about 2cm thick. Cover with the grapes and place in the oven for about 20 minutes

5. It's ready when a skewer comes out clean.

The term ‘Two harvest bread', comes from the fact that the sultanas are from last year and the grapes from this. (If you soak the sultanas in wine it becomes ‘Three harvest bread'!)

The bread has an unusual texture - it seems a little grainy when you first pop it into your mouth, and there is a slight 'metaliccy' taste.

But I had some last night and found myself going back several times for another nibble, which is a good sign!
I had a chunk for breakfast, split and spread with apple puree. It was very acceptable.

I'm certain you could make this into a pizza dough by leaving out the sugar and fruit. I'd be tempted to brush the surface with oil before putting on a tomato topping.

200g wheat flour

100g sultanas
2 dsps sugar
125ml lukewarm water
1 teaspoon yeast
Good splash of olive oil (optional)
Plus a handful of seedless grapes, halved.

Place the dried ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir the yeast into the water and add to the flour. Add the olive oil at this point, if using.

Mix into a dough, knead until the dough is smooth, then roll out into a circle with the dough about 2cm thick and cover with the grapes. Place on a prepared baking sheet and leave to rise. Bake in the oven at 220C or gas 7 for 15 to 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I have a GF friend, will have to make this for him as I know he struggles to find decent GF bread, quite intrigued by the grape addition too!

    Also was nice to see the word 'Schiacciata', my in-law's are from Italy and they gave me their base bread recipe by the same name, which also was the first bread I ever made :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anne!

    I just love the word 'schiacciata' - the Italians have such evocative names for their breads.

    Cheers, Paul

    ReplyDelete