No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Monday 30 January 2012

Breadmaking at Glebe Primary School

As regular readers of my blog will know, I'm in the habit of occasionally visiting my grandchildren's schools to make bread with them and their classmates. They've recently moved schools, and last year I made some bread with Alfie, my 6-year-old grandson and his class.

Since November, 8-year-old Olivia has been trying to organise a similar session - but Christmas got in the way, and it's only now that we've been able to manage it.

It finally got underway this morning, and, in two sessions - first the boys, then the girls - all 29 children in the class made a batch of bread rolls.

Here are some pics I took of the session. I'm not allowed to show faces, but they do give an idea of the activity and the results:

The dough is mixed and the children are kneading or beginning to make their shapes. Those are my demonstration shapes in the middle of the table. 



And here are the results:

Whole lot of shaping going on! (Sorry!)

The boys were more into hedgehogs...

...whilst the girls were more into hearts.


The rolls were placed on their identifying bags to be collected later

I have to say I received great support from Karen (TA) and Mrs Flowers (returning teacher?) - they helped enormously!

Later in the evening I received a lovely email from the class teacher:

Hello Paul

Just a quick note to say thank you so much for this morning.
The children all enjoyed themselves and were thrilled when
they had their rolls at the end of the day. I've eaten two

as well* and they were very nice. 


Janice


Which was much appreciated!


*Of my demo rolls, which I left for the staff. Wouldn't want anyone to think that Janice was pinching the children's rolls! :-)



1 comment: