No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Friday 17 August 2012

FLAXSEEDS

As a vegan, I take flaxseeds as a source of Omega 3 - approximately 10g per day. Here's the Vegetarian Society factsheet on Omega 3.

Up to now, I've been including it in my bread rolls (about 80g of ground flaxseeds to 600g wholemeal and 100g white flour) and my spicy breakfast naan, but yesterday I made some bread rolls for my daughter, without flaxseeds - and I was surprised at how light the rolls were! It made me realise just how 'worthy' my daily bread was - in comparison with the rolls I made for my daughter, it's a lot heavier and denser.

So, if I was going to leave them out of my bread, I needed to find a way of incorporating the other 5g into my daily routine. I thought about mixing it up with some mashed banana and getting it all over in one mouthful, which I did - and it wasn't half bad! I'd always been a bit concerned about losing some of the benefits of the flaxseeds by cooking them, so this is perfect. In fact, in future, I'll leave it out of my breakfast naans as well, and take the whole 10g with mashed banana every morning.

This way I'll always know how much I'm getting - my previous method was a bit hit and miss, given that I'm now practicing a Calorie Restriction programme. Eating only 40g of bread or naan meant that I wasn't getting the full 5g of flaxseeds with each meal.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I'm so glad to get to visit this site. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative post. I'll be looking forward for your other posts as well. Keep it up! Flaxseed is low in carbs, making it a good choice to have in bread when you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. So the next time you want bread for a sandwich or toast, try our healthy Flaxseed Bread.
    flaxseed bread

    ReplyDelete