No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Tuesday 24 September 2013

A 40-HOUR LIQUID FAST - AFTER A VERY GOOD WEEKEND

The weekend began with a great meal out with our friends - 3 couples all told - on Friday evening at The White Lion, near Taunton (I'm attempting to write a review  night for trip advisor). My impression of the meal is that the chef saw me (a vegan, for new readers) as a challenge, and a chance to be a bit creative - and it paid off handsomely!

I had wild mushrooms and garlic in olive oil on courgette 'boats', for a starter. (With loads of rocket, which I'm not very keen on, so I just set that to one side.) This was followed by a huge bowl of roasted Mediterranean veg and pasta - quite spicy (which I'd requested).

When we'd all finished the mains, I looked around the table - and every plate was cleared! Tells its own story! Everyone was very satisfied.

I was asked if I'd like a pudding - the chef suggested a caramelised, spicy apple, so I thought, 'What the hell - there goes breakfast tomorrow!' and had that as well. Bit of a treat for me, since I don't generally get the choice!


We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal - and the drinks - and voted to come back again soon. The menu changes almost daily, which I like, since the chef is always kept fresh! (As it were!)

I wasn't quite finished, however - this lovely meal had awoken the hunger monster in me. When I got home I quickly knocked up some pancake mixture and had two crepes suzette - which I didn't really need! 

4 rounded dsps of s/r flour and enough water to make a batter - a la single cream consistency.

This is my fall back pudding in case I don't have a pud while I'm out - which is generally the case. I really didn't need it last night, but they were so good!

So Sunday I was planning a mini-fast - I'll eat normally in the evening.

That was the plan - but in the event, I had porridge and molasses for breakfast, and Marmite, peanut butter, hummus and tomato sandwiches for lunch.

Dinner was a roast - I had a stuffed mushroom and some slices of vegan gammon. Lots of roast potatoes and sweet potato, plus loads of veg. Ice cream and strawberries for pud! 

My last bite was at 8.05, so that's when I began my fast. I planned a complete liquid fast - much needed after that very indulgent weekend! I don't intend to eat anything until I have breakfast on Tuesday.

So on the Monday I just had water and black coffee - all day. And I passed a major test in the evening...

24 hours into my fast, and I've cooked my wife's fast day meal for her - an omelette, microwaved potato and peas.

And I've watched her eat it while the Hairy Bikers were on the box - and I had another black coffee!

Cheese and mushroom omelette:
1 whole egg and two egg whites
100g fried mushrooms
20g grated cheese

With 100g potato and 50g frozen peas with brown sauce.

Comes to a little over 300 cals.


Here's what I wrote on the main Mumsnet 5:2 diet thread:
"I'm maintaining, but I still fast once a week - this time it's a complete liquid fast. All I had yesterday was black coffee and water, so it's been 38 hours since I ate. Once again, I began doing this for convenience. It's easier, IMO - and I think PostmanPatscat finds this as well - to go without food entirely for a day. I'm lucky in that I don't get hungry when I don't eat. When I do eat, boy, do I get hungry! I have to employ all the tricks not to overeat - such as waiting 20 or 30 minutes after a meal to see if I really do want that pudding! grin

I shall exercise before I eat, so I won't be eating until about twelve - and I know, when I look at my breakfast (curried fruit naan with mashed banana and flaxseed), I'll be reluctant to eat. Always feel like that after a fast.


Broke my fast - after 40 hours - with a small breakfast, then immediately set the timer for 20 minutes.

This is the danger time for me, so I have to be on my guard.


So far (2.10) so good - I don't intend to eat until this evening.

I feel absolutely fine - and I shall tackle the outdoor chores this afternoon with gusto!

(Just thinking about it, my breakfast was around 250-300 calories, so by the time I eat this evening, I'll have gone 48 hours or so on less than 500. Or, a 5:2 calorie day over two days. (If that makes sense!)

At around 6.30, I sat down to my evening meal - so I'd gone 46.5 hours on less than 500 calories.

Now I've got 5 days before I fast again - this is where the hard part really starts! Fast days are the easy bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment