No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Men's health - Incontinence

A couple of years ago I was admitted to hospital with a bladder infection, which meant I couldn't pee for 14 hours! shock 

A continence nurse friend of mine told me I should be doing the bladder muscle tightening exercise for about 20 minutes a day - but never whilst having a pee!

When doing this exercise, my default position is - muscle tightened. Every second or so I release this pressure for a split second, then tighten again as hard as I can. I do it when driving, surfing the net - can be done anywhere, of course.

I don't always stick to this regime - but after a couple of days, if I have to get up during the night, I get back on it quick smart! smile

I've told my group of friends about this - and they all report a lessening of nightly visits to the loo. One trick, if this bothers you - if you wake up in the night needing a pee, tightly clench the bladder muscles, pelvic floor or whatever, about 20 times, and often the need wanes and you can go back to sleep. 

This is only effective if you've been doing the daily exercises for a while.

About my infection - after a couple of days in hospital they sent me home with an incontinence bag for a week or so. My grandson, aged 6 at the time, was very intrigued by the whole paraphernalia. I explained as much about it to him as I thought appropriate.

One day he wasn't very well - and, feeling a bit sorry for himself, said to his mum, "I'm feeling poorly, mummy. I think I'll have to go to hospital and get a bag." 

grin grin

Of course we all fell about laughing!

No comments:

Post a Comment