No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Tuesday 1 April 2014

5:2 DIET - CHICK PEA CHILLI NON CARNE (VEGAN) 400 Cals

For dinner I had the smaller bowl with 50g of rice. The rest is leftovers! (Whoopee!)
For yesterday's Fast Day dinner, I thought I'd go for the full 600 calories - but, try as I might, I fell well short!

I had a tin of chick peas, so I thought I'd try them in a chilli non carne for a change - an experiment well worth doing, as the dish turned out to be very tasty indeed!

Ingredients:
About 500g mixed veg (onion, cabbage, celery, mushroom), chopped - 150 cals
1 tin chopped tomatoes - 86
1 tin chick peas - 288
2 Fry's vegan sausages - 116
Seasoning (1 teaspoon bouillon powder, 2 dessertspoons chilli sauce) - 32Dried herbs

Total 668

However, this made 10 servingspoons of chilli - and I only needed 3! So, 3/10ths of 668 is almost exactly 200 calories.

With this I had 50g (dried weight) of white rice - 186 cals.

Total 386 calories all together. 

And it was too much - I was uncomfortable for about an hour after finishing this.

'Twas bloody gorgeous, though! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment