No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Sunday 6 July 2014

BREADMAKING MADE EASY, Burnham on Sea, Somerset

Andy's 4-strand plait and smiley face!
Satisfying breadmaking session at Burnham on Sea Somerset Skills and Learning centre, this morning.

Only 4 students, one of whom was a regular bread baker, with the other three being novices, attended, and they all went home with 5 different varieties of bread.


Between them they made:
Soda bread
Focaccia
Fancy dinner rolls
Chelsea buns
Swedish tea ring
Pizza
Sizzlers

[Need links to all these recipes]

All this using two small ovens in three hours. Have to say the students were all very impressed with the breads they made. Whereas I wasn't all that happy with the couple of batches of bread I allowed to burn!

Here are some of the pics I took:


Andy's Chelsea buns (singed by me! :( ), fancy dinner rolls and soda bread

Ken's haul - just as he was packing it away

Kim's focaccia, put to prove
Pat adding olive oil to her focaccia
Pat's 5 different breads - from the top: Soda bread, sizzlers, Swedish tea ring, pizza and focaccia
All in all it was a very pleasing session, for all concerned - apart from the several breads I allowed either to singe, or, in a couple of cases, to burn! :(

However, the students were very forgiving.

I didn't take as many pics as I would have liked to have done - there's so much else going on!

I'm due back at the Burnham centre on the 15th of November for a 6 and a half hour workshop - and Andy has already intimated he may well attend!



2 comments: