No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Wednesday 19 April 2023

A WHOLE FOOD PLANT-BASED (VEGAN) DIET AND CANCER


21st April 2023

Just in - turkey tail mushrooms prove effective against some cancers.


Why is there such a huge disparity in prostate cancer rates? For instance the incidence of clinically malignant prostate cancer is highest in African-Americans—some 30-fold greater than in Japanese men, and 120 times greater than seen in Chinese men in Shanghai. The reason has to do with lifestyle.


When I began intermittent fasting (something else I would recommend for optimum health), I did so because it was shown to reduce the level of IGF-1 (insulin growth factor 1) in the body: IGF-1 being a marker of cancer risk (the more IGF-1, the more risk of cancer growth). It turns out that a WFPB diet also lowers IGF-1. Cow’s milk, being designed to produce a 600lb calf in very short order, is packed with IGF-1. (It’s also, because cows are made to produce milk whilst pregnant, full of oestrogen and other unwanted hormones).


At the last count, I have four friends and family members suffering from cancer. Here I've tried to gather in one place, all the info I can find on the subject.


"Cancer is one of the leading causes of death worldwide, and there is an urgent need for a new direction in battling this disease. That’s why the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) has created materials specifically for cancer prevention and survival."


https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/cancer


Dr Michael Greger, who runs NutritionFacts.org, has many short videos on how diet influences cancer. 


Cancer and a WFPB diet. (Whenever I look at one of Dr Greger's videos, it's always worth checking out the comments section, there is a wealth of info in there - plus some inspirational stories!)


Fasting and cancer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CxMsqpzhT4&t=13s



Protect your prostate from cancer



Effects of a low-fat, high-fiber diet and exercise program on breast cancer risk factors in vivo and tumor cell growth and apoptosis in vitro.


https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/cancer



Stunning results from the largest diet/nutrition study ever: Cornell University: 


A healthy diet will slow and/or stop most cancers: Why not?



“Study finds vegan blood is 8 times more effective at killing cancer cells.”


I didn’t know just what study to link that sentence to, but if you put that into a search engine, you get loads of results.


Finally, there’s help available here, from someone who has been through it:


chrisbeatcancer.com


No comments:

Post a Comment