No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Tuesday 5 May 2020

SPICY FRUIT SODA BREAD CIABATTA STYLE

Ciabatta is more than just an expensive loaf - I've always maintained that it is also a method. Any bread recipe can be made in a ciabatta style, simply by increasing the amount of hydration. In this recipe I've increased the water by 25%, which creates a sloppy, sticky dough. But here's the thing, this is what makes it so easy.  There's no kneading involved - it's mixed entirely in the bowl, then tipped out onto a baking tray. With this soda bread recipe the bread goes straight into the oven - if you were to apply this method to a yeast-risen recipe then you would of course need to let it rise first.

Ingredients:
200g (8oz or 1 mug) self raising flour
25g sugar
Dsp mixed spice
100g (4oz) sultanas (or any dried fruit)
100g (4oz) chopped dates
156g (6.25oz or 1 mug) water 
25g olive oil (optional)

Before starting, turn the oven on to 220C (425F), and prepare your baking tray.

Method:
Measure the dry ingredients, then mix them to together to avoid the spice creating streaks, then add the water and oil, if using. Mix into a very wet dough using a stiff spatula or a table knife.

Position the bowl above the baking tray and scrape the dough out into the middle of the tray. Wet your spatula or fingers and smooth out any obvious lumps and bumps.

When you're happy with the shape, put it straight into the oven for 24 minutes, turning it round after 12 minutes, for an even bake.

Notes:
This is a variation on my usual fruit soda bread, which uses a 8:5 ratio, flour to water, so 200g flour to 125g water, or 8oz flour to 5oz, which I would make into a dough, knead a few times, before shaping it into a round, cutting a cross in the top and then baking. 

Some advantages of the ciabatta method: It was easier to obtain the sticky dough I was looking for - it came together just as quick as a normal dough, probably quicker; no adding a bit more flour or water so that it could be kneaded; and no mess on the worktop to clean up. It did take a couple more minutes in the oven, but apart from that, it’s been a win-win situation.

The loaf is light and less dense than my usual soda bread, and I can't see me ever going back to that method.


No comments:

Post a Comment