No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Family Breadmaking at Churchfield Primary School, Highbridge, Somerser

I was invited to run a breadmaking session as part of a Family Learning course at this school yesterday. 8 families, with their children from the reception class.

The first part of the session was parents only. We made a batch of dough out of which we made a small cheese and tomato pizza and a couple of sizzlers with tomatoes and mushrooms:

Some of the savoury breads. The other batch was too burned to show - but the family went home with my demonstration batch. The ovens are really fierce - you need to keep a close eye on them, and sometimes I get distracted! :(
The children joined us after about an hour and they were soon happily shaping the bread. From one batch of dough the children made 3 petit pain au chocolat, using the rest to make different shapes:

The initials on top of the rolls are there so that the families can be re-united with their bread!
A busy table!
The hardest part for the mothers (there were no fathers there, unfortunately)  - was letting the children do as much as they can for themselves. Inevitably, the children end up surprising their parents with their ability.




Everyone was pleased with what had been accomplished. We spoke about the health benefits of making your own bread, and also how cheap it is, compared with shop-bought stuff.

The parents were all impressed with how much their children can do on their own - and said they would carry on with this at home. They were all given the usual homework - which was to go home and teach someone what they had just learned.

All-in-all it was a fun session and I had terrific support from both Sue, who arranged the workshop, and  the reception class teacher, Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment