No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Saturday 5 May 2012

Polish recipe translation

Update, 4/5/12:

I mentioned this on the BBC Food refugee board, and it was suggested that I send the recipe home to the mother for her to translate for her husband. (Don't know why I didn't think of it, but that's what I shall do next time.)

So, on the Thursday morning, I emailed the school, but, in the event, the school secretary forgot to pass the info on! :(

My fault, I should have posted my query earlier in the week.

The session went more or less as I hoped - I had the rough translation for the sweet breads, so we made those first, and Cezary and his dad, Krystian, coped very well. We followed it up with a loaf of bread and they made a pretty good bloomer.

So the dad went home happy, and his wife Karolina will be here next week - making pizzas and chocolate and banana bread.



2/5/12
I have a father and son attending my Family Learning session on Friday - and they speak no English.

We're making loaves, jam doughnuts and petit pains au chocolat.

Here's a worksheet I've translated for the sweet breads:


Jam pączki i petit ból au chocolat
(Sprawia  2 pączki i maksymalnie 10 czekoladowe rolki)

Składniki:
1 kubek mocny biała mąka
1. Cukier dessertspoons
1/3rd z kubku letniej wody
1 zaokrąglone łyżeczka świeżych drożdży

Metoda:
Wymieszać wszystko razem, ugniatać następnie podzielić na dwie części

Rzuć jeden kawałek w kółko i wyciąć 4 małe okręgi, jam miejsce na dwóch z nich i pokryć z innych okręgów. Ściśnij krawędzi razem.

Zbierz resztę ciasta razem i podzielić na 5. Wcisnąć kawałek czekolady do ciasta i wycisnąć ciasto wokół niego.

I've started one for the loaf of bread:



składniki:
2 kubki silny mąki, wszystkie białe - albo mieszanka białego i razowego. Używam 400g do 100g wyrób pełnoziarnisty biały
1/2 łyżeczki soli
1 dessertspoon świeżych drożdży
315ml letniej wody
2 łyżki oleju z oliwek (opcjonalnie, ale poprawia utrzymanie jakości)

1 comment: