No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Saturday 9 February 2013

5:2 RECIPES - CHILLI NON CARNE (VEGAN)

For anyone following the 5:2 WOE (way of eating), veggies are your friends! 

Basically this recipe is 6-800g of low calorie veg (whatever’s in season, mainly), with added red kidney beans. I have half of this with a diced vegan sausage plus a small baked potato and maybe some broccoli. The other half is for my second fast of the week - generally on a Wednesday.

In a small pan I put 2cms of water (I try and use saved vegetable cooking water) and a teaspoon of chili powder. Then I add, in no particular order, the chopped veg. Here’s what I used recently for my 2 fasting days:

155g celery - 12 cals
95g onion – 31 cals
115g cabbage – 15 cals
64g carrot -19 cals
100g cauli – 31 cals
115 mushrooms – 15 cals
200g red kidney beans – 254 cals (I cook 500g of dried r-k-beans, then freeze them, so I always have them to hand)
200g tinned tomatoes - 38 cals
10g bouillon powder – 24 cals
1 teaspoon chili powder - 8 cals
1 teaspoon mixed herbs - 0 cals

Total 450 calories. 

I measured this out onto two side plates (I use a side plate instead of a dinner plate these days) and it came to 7 large serving spoons – but I only used three yesterday, since that filled up the plate.


So, 450 divided by 7 = 65 - multiplied by 3 = 195 calories for the veg

To this I added a Fry’s vegan sausage, chopped into small pieces – 58 cals 
I had this with 120g microwaved potato – 86 cals


If you're not worried about calories, then I recommend seitan chunks instead of the sausages.

So my meal came to 339 calories - and I had it with a small glass of red wine (50g - 44 cals)

So, altogether the calorie count was well under 400 calories.

I vary the amount of r-k-beans depending on how many calories I have to play with. This dish works perfectly well with 100g of beans.

You could leave out the beans and sausage and make a very acceptable veg curry – I would probably fry the curry powder in a teaspoon of oil (16 cals)

I’m always full after this meal – especially if I have some broccoli with it.


Ps. I often use up the spare calories by having 100g of homemade stout before the meal - only 43 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment