No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Friday 8 February 2013

5:2 DIET - VEGAN CARROT CAKE (134 cals/slice)

(For those who aren't sure what the 5:2 diet is, there's a great deal of info here on this thread)

Ingredients:
120g s/r flour
120g sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground ginger
80g grated carrots
40g vegetable oil
40g mashed banana
120ml water

Method:
       Preheat the oven to 180C

       Measure the flour, sugar, spices,carrot and walnuts - stir to distribute 

       Add the oil, mashed banana and water to the mix and stir – initially with a large spoon or spatula, then with a whisk
       Pour into an oiled and lined 18cm (7” inch) baking tin or cake tin
       Put in the oven and cook for between 30-35 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean
       Leave on a cooling rack in the tin for ten minutes
       Turn out on to the cooling tray


Calorie count:
120 flour = 355 x 1.2 = 426

120 sugar = 400 x 1.2 = 500

Spices = 6 + 3 + 4 = 13

40 oil = 900 x .4 = 360
40 banana = 38



Total= 1337

The cake weighed 424g after baking, so, dividing it into 10 pieces, each 42g piece will contain 134 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment