No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Sunday 4 August 2013

5:2 DIET LASAGNE - LAYERED WITH POTATO (VEGAN)

(For those who aren't sure what the 5:2 diet is - here's some information)


I couldn't get any more on the plate - I was absolutely full up when I'd finished!
I didn't know quite what to call this dish. It's layered up with a bolognaise-type vegetable sauce and potatoes, with vegan flavourings instead of a cheese sauce*.

Basically, this is a lasagne/moussaka type meal using thinly sliced potatoes to layer the dish. I've made this over the years, generally to use up left-over bolognaise sauce - and it is awesome!
Makes 2 portions - one each for my two day's fasting this week.

Ingredients:
150g onion
100g cabbage
50g carrots
100g cauliflower
200g celery
150g mushrooms
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons stock powder
Good pinch of dried oregano
Black pepper to taste

Plus:
200g very thinly sliced potatoes (you can overlap the potatoes if you've got too many - or leave them out)
10g Free and Easy cheese sauce powder
5g nutritional yeast

(Or: instead of the powder, use the sauce)

Method:
Chop all the vegetables quite small and simmer them in a little water, until soft. Add the seasoning.

Slice the potatoes very thinly and cook for several minutes until soft.

Layer the dish in three layers - so divide the potatoes into 3 small piles. 

Spoon just under a third of the sauce into a baking dish and cover with 1/3rd of the potatoes. Cover the potatoes with cheese sauce powder and nutritional yeast (nooch). Then alternate with sauce, potatoes and the cheese sauce powder and nooch - finishing with a little liquid over the dry ingredients - just to moisten them.

Either bake for 30 minutes or microwave for 10 minutes - full power for 2 minutes, 8 minutes on 30% power (or equivalent).

Calorie count:
242 for the sauce
144 for the potatoes
25 for the sauce powder and nooch
410 in total

But since this is for two meals, that's 205 for each meal, leaving 295 (or 395 for a bloke) to spare.

(On the day made this, I chose to spend my calories on a small glass of beer, ditto some red wine - and still had enough calories spare for a small piece of chocolate cake! [Calorie counting to come!])

Note:
Free and Easy (dairy free) cheese sauce powder I bought in Sainsbury's supermarket. Engervita nutritional yeast is available in most health food shops.

I shall check out using grated vegan cheese - it'll be more calories, but, since this is pretty low calorie anyway, it might be a decent alternative.

*Or: You may want to use this vegan cheese sauce at 125 calories - but, don't forget, this makes two meals

No comments:

Post a Comment