No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Tuesday 20 August 2013

PICNIC FOOD FOR A DAY AT THE T20 CRICKET (VEGAN)

T20 Finals day, Saturday 17th August. 

My mate Alan had bought the tickets, arranged for a worst case scenario overnight stay in a hotel - the weather forecast was diabolical! - and was doing all the driving, leaving Taunton at 7.30 in the morning, and returning home well after midnight!

So I thought the least I could do would be to provide the food for the day.

Pizzas always keep well - roughly about a million times better than sandwiches! - and a well-filled bread pasty keeps all day and will hit the spot when required!

So, I set to the evening before and made a bread dough. I needed roughly 160g flour for each of the pizzas + 200g for the four pasties, so 500g of flour altogether.


500g strong white flour
1 teaspoon bouillon powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 doz sun-dried tomatoes, chopped small
290g lukewarm water
10g fresh yeast
50g oil from the sun-dried tomatoes

Mixed the dry ingredients, mixed the yeast liquid, added it to the flour, then mixed the dough together.

I kneaded it for 20 or so seconds, left it for a while, then repeated that several more times over the next hour.

Once I judged it was ready, I covered it again with the bowl and left it for a couple of hours until I was ready to bake.

I divided the dough roughly into 3 - making 2 pizzas and 4 pasties

I spent some of the time making a rich tomato sauce, then spread each pizza with a layer of Pateole mushroom pate, then the tomato sauce, then 3 chopped sun-dried tomatoes, slices of one tomato and a couple of mushrooms and a few olives:


The dough for each pizza base was about 300g
4 pasties with curried lentil and potato: 


The dough for the pasties was about 300g
I was a bit worried about the fragility of the pizzas and pasties - after all, they were to be transported in my rucksack - so I employed a couple of plastic chopping boards to provide a bit of rigidity.

I'm happy to report that these did the job, and the food survived intact! (Until consumed, of course!)

In the event, the rain did not materialise until late in the evening, and then only disrupted a small part of the T20 final.

"The cricket?" I hear you ask.

I'm happy to report that (in the absence of my original county - Lancashire, and my adopted home team - Somerset, both of whom were beaten in the quarter-final), un-fancied Northampton beat both Essex and Surrey in record-breaking style!

Over 900 runs were scored in the day, many records were broken and there was an abundance of thrilling cricket - with the right result. We couldn't have asked for more. 

Thanks, Al!

No comments:

Post a Comment